There are many more natural ways to relieve back pain than those presented in the article, however this will be a good starting point. The natural ways to relieve back pain can be broken down into several categories, i.e. (1) stretching, (2) strengthening, (3) drinking and eating, (4) use good posture when sitting and standing, and (5) movement.
The first group of the natural ways to relieve back pain will involve stretching. To do this you will need to hold each position for 5-8 seconds and do not bounce or make any swift movements. Do not move beyond the pain. If you feel pain, you need to stop.
- Lie face down on an exercise ball and move your shoulders forward slightly.
- After sitting for some time, stand and place your hands upon your lower back, then push your shoulders back and hips forward.
- Lay on the ground facing up. Pull one knee up towards your chest and then pull your other leg up to your chest.
- While holding the above position, twist the bottom half of your torso to your left and point your knees to the 10 o’clock position, then point them to your right at the 2 o’clock position. Remember to hold each position for 5-8 seconds.
- While lying on the ground face up, bend your legs at the knees and place your feet flat on the ground. Slowly push up your hip area until you form a bridge.
- Do Hindu style squats. This will strengthen your lower back so that you are able to deal with every day rigor.
- Do sit ups. Sit ups strengthen your abs but also takes the pressure off of your back muscles.
- The Superman position. Lay face down and lift your upper torso and legs so that your body forms a bowl and hold the position for a few seconds.
- The Reverse Fly. Lean over at about 90 degrees, use a 5- 10 pound weight in each hand, then raise both arms straight out.
- Opposite arm and leg raise.Get on all fours, extend one of your arms completely and then raise the opposite leg and then switch to the other arm and leg.
Eating And Drinking To Relieve Back Pain
- Drink lots of water.
- Avoid too much sugar and carbonated drinks.
- Eat vitamin B-12 rich foods.
- Increase your calcium levels.
- Eat foods that are rich in magnesium.
Good Posture While Standing or Sitting
- If you sit for a long time use some type of lumbar support for your lower back.
- If you are sitting or standing sit with your back pushed toward your tummy and your shoulders pushed back.
- When standing or sitting prop a foot on a step stool.
- If you have to stand for a long period keep your chest elevated,shoulders pushed back and your body straight to the ground.
- If you have to sit at a desk for a long time, raise your computer monitor to a higher setting so you do not have to look down. Be sure to keep your head level.
Relieve back pain involving moving
- If you sit for long periods, lean to the right and left. Make sure to keep adjusting yourself.
- Walk more. Walking strengthens your back muscles.
- Bend down to touch your toes.
- Be sure to move your head around.
- Give yourself a giant hug.